Monday, October 23, 2006

She Sells Sanctuary

Jumping on the bandwagon, Lola. I love reading everyone's repsonses so I thought I would post my own . . . that and I am trying to avoid creating a worksheet or two. Fine, you bullied me into it. I also don't feel like working or looking for a Toddler costume. I'll post my responses in Purple. Hang with me, I'm not as witty as you.

1. FIRST NAME? Ava, for all intents and purposes Lola, ditto.

2. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? Picked it because if the Flyer and I had decided to have any more children, I would have lobbied hard for this name. I never would have won, though, since it is the German name of Veronica’s arch-nemesis. My actual middle name is named after my mother’s favorite student when she taught at a state mental institution (which is where my parents met, by the way). I figured I could never get Steak Knife to name a daughter Lola. Not that I subscribe to the "She's his Daughter too, so he should get 50% of the naming rights" way of thinking. Until he can carry her for 5 months, he can't get 50% of the naming rights.

3. WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY? Probably a little after the school shooting in Lancaster County because it hit a little close to home, both geographically and occupationally. I’m good for a release cry about once every third month and every January 28th. This isn't fair, I cry all the time. I'm pretty sure that I cried at least 5 times yesterday. Gus is new to the toddler room & 2 kids hugged him, "hello." I'm sure that a few commercials got me. Studio 60 got me when they were interviewing the Old Guy that was black-listed. See, I have problems. I inherited my mother's ability to cry if a cute puppy passes her, so I'm always crying.

4. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? Actually quite a bit (print and script). I like Lola’s better, though. First, Ava's crazy! Her handwriting is beautiful, always has been. Mine's scratchy. I can't spell, so there's always strike-outs. And since I leave words out, you've got little scribbles all over the place.

5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCHMEAT? I love hard salami and Italian roast beef.Ditto, but I'd be REAL skeptical.

7. DO YOU HAVE A JOURNAL? If you count this blog, yep. If not, I start a lot of journals but rarely if ever finish them. No. Ever since Ava and the Other sister found mine in the 2nd grade, told everyone who I "liked", I vowed never to repeat that business.

8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? Yes, but I always wanted to have them removed for the perks. No one would listen though. Still do.

9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? Oh, yes! Something about jumping and knowing (well, kind of knowing) that I would be okay makes it sound good. Nope. I'm a sit on the couch kind of girl.

10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? Lucky Charms probably because my mother always said it was too sugary . . . Betty and Veronica can’t touch them. I love cereal. While I was pregnant with Gus, I survived on it. Anything cheap and generic will do. Once again, my mother's influences are still with me. Why pay for a name? When we were little, she'd buy the K-Mart "Keds" & paint a blue rectangle on the heel. Guess jeans? Rip the patch off & sew them on cheap jeans. Remember Skids? Our mother would recreate the patch and sew them on some slouchy pants she made. Illegal? I know that now.

11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? No way. Even though I where precious few tied shoes, I always flip them off at the heel. Nope. That's why I live in my Vans and will be buying a pair of Converse's without laces.

12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? I had twins, I have the scars, you do the math. Right now, I'd say, "No." But I usually surprise myself. I hate blood. Can't watch CSI. S.K. had to get a bunch of stitches about 5 years ago. He didn't even want the hospital to call me. I had no problems. Labor & Delivery. Once they said that I could still get an epidural, no problem. Ask me again when I've got to take Gus in for stitches.

13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? Ben and Jerry’s New York Super Fudge Crunch (and Baskin-Robbins Caramel Chocolate Crunch, but they haven’t had it around in a while). Here's my Dad's influence, Mint Chocolate Chip!

14. SHOE SIZE? 9.5 depending upon the brand. 8 or 8.5.

5. RED OR PINK? Pink with a dollop of red on the top Ditto.

16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? Being shy around new people and having others perceive it as bitchiness. That and people who know me argue that I can’t possibly be an introvert (that’s because you know me, folks, that you think I am an extrovert). I probably gossip more than I should. I also hold a grudge and have a hard time apologizing first.

17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? The Scooby Gang. I'm out on this question.

18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? Since I stole this from Julia’s blog (and itÂ’s on Cara’s as well), I’ll just troll the other websites and see who posts theirs

19. WHAT COLOR PANTS, SHIRT AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? Somehow, there should be heavy breathing with this question. Blue jeans, a white t-shirt, green cordouroy jacket, and wool clogs . . . the only heavy breathing there should be is from the Flyer. Dirty jeans, dirty shirt, and a dirty sweatshirt. As you can tell, I should be doing laundry.

20. LAST THING YOU ATE? Part of a 3-foot sub (ham and cheese). See question 10.

21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? The sound of the iMac droning and my typing (plus the dog licking her stress spot). Howard Stern online. Please don't ask me to explain this one, but for some odd reason I love the show. I know all the reasons why I shouldn't, but I don't care. It's a vice.

22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? Burnt Sienna. (insert clever adjective) green.

23. FAVORITE SMELL? Bar none, lavendar. Almonds come a close second. Lilac, all the way.

24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? My mother (ironic, isn’t it). Staple's manager to confirm tomorrow's appointment.

25. THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE YOU ARE ATTRACTED TO? Eyes and nose (I love the Flyer’s nose . . . it got him everywhere). Height. The boys had to be taller than me. Not an inch shorter. Once there was a boy that had a nice accent. I tried to slouch, but that got old. If that makes me vain, I don't care.

26. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON you stole THIS from? In the blog world, yes! In real life, I wouldn’t know her without the camera in front of her face.

27. FAVORITE DRINK? Blue Moon or Yuengling. Corona & coffee! Not together of course.

28. FAVORITE SPORT? Watching football or Aran knitting. Big DITTO. But make it college football. Go Bucks. Do you have a countdown for the OSU vs. Michigan game yet?

29. EYE COLOR? Hazel with a twinge of green around the rims (I’m a bit sensitive about that). Ditto.

30. HAT SIZE? The second tightest peg. Usually, the last peg. Everytime the DR. says Gus' head is in the 95% club, I apologize.

31. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? I can, but I prefer my glasses. Yep & I never take them out. So someday, I'm screwed.

32. FAVORITE FOOD? Anything chocolate based, but I love my chili and the Greek Yogurt Pot at Pret a Manger. Quarter Pounder and Chiptole Steak Bowl. I've got to get off of this computer and eat something.

33. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? Happy endings that aren’t forced. Happy endings. S.K. loves scary movies and always "forces" me to watch them. When I give in, he'll say " and no knitting." And that's where I draw the line.

35. SUMMER OR WINTER? Winter all the way. I hate SUMMER. Hate it! So much that we planned Gus' birth around that season. I'm so bitchy when the temperature goes above 70.

36. HUGS OR KISSES? Hugs are lovely, but there is nothing like a 10 minutes kissing session with your hubby (make that my hubby). Hugs. But I love how Gus kisses us good-night. I think he's confused about "kisses" & "blowing kisses". He'll hold his hand out until it touches you mouth. Then he grabs my nose, don't ask me to explain that one.

37. FAVORITE DESSERT? Chocolate anything. Brownies.

38. WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? Well, Lola, darling, it is your turn to post yours . . . but wait a while why don’t you. Shit. I didn't read this one until I got to it. Screw it. Just be happy I did it.

39. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? Lola

40. WHAT BOOKS ARE YOU READING? Walter Dean Myers' autobiography (before I put it out for the kids), Imagined London (less than two weeks to go), and always Persuasion. Come on. I did buy, "Running with Scissors."

41. WHAT'S ON YOUR MOUSE Pad? Don’t use one. Ditto.

42. WHAT DID YOU WATCH LAST NIGHT ON TV? Law and Order: SVU and Britain’s Biggest Spenders (the one guy looked like a Little Britain character waiting to happen). Heroes. Love this show & can't believe that Ava's family isn't watching it!

43. FAVORITE SOUNDS? Veronica’s laugh . . . I wish I could bottle that. Insert Gus' name.

44. ROLLING STONE OR BEATLES? Beatles all the way. Ditto.

45. THE FURTHEST YOU'VE BEEN FROM HOME? Paris and Scotland. Crap. Toronto, I think.

46. WHAT'S YOUR SPECIAL TALENT? I’m using it right now (nice outfit). I think I'm a pretty good Euchre player. Oh and pretty good at embellishing a story.

48. WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? Stolen from Julia at Fricknits